Click the button to go to our online shop.
Welcome to Banc Organics!
Banc Organics is a community supported food scheme which grows Organic* vegetables and fruit in Bancffosfelen and distributes them locally. We deliver weekly Organic fruit and veg bags to a pick up point or to your door. We started in winter 2009/10. Much of our work was by volunteers and we grew from a band of enthusiastic amateurs to a much admired professional growing outfit. In 2020 we are relaunching as a new Community Interest Company (CIC), Gwendraeth Organic CIC our customers will be able to be members and have a vote in decisions and for the board of the company, effectively they along with the workers will be the owners as it is with the Co-op.
We are now a very experienced team and are proud of the business we have built and the systems we have developed to grow vegetable with minimal impact on the environment. We are excited by the opportunities that we have as a relaunched enterprise to make a bigger impact for the better for the environment, local community and economy and to the quality of the food that you eat.
∗ Our produce is registered Organic with the [Biodynamic Association]
September Promotion - Refer-a-Friend
Do you know someone who might be persuaded to become our customer with a free bag of organic, locally grown veg? Let us know! For the whole month of September, we’ll be running our Refer-A-Friend promotion.
Here’s how it will work:
- Choose your lucky nominee!
- Email their name, address and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org before Tuesday 8pm each week
- Let us know whether we should supply them with a large bag or a small bag.
- We’ll deliver their veg bag completely free of charge.
If your nominee then places an order with us in September, as a thank you to you for spreading the word and helping us to get our lovely produce out to even more people, we’ll give you a credit note for fresh veg up to the value of your nominee’s order (maximum £20). So, say I nominate Sarah. Sarah receives her free bag and loves it (naturally), so she orders another bag the week after, along with some extras. In total she spends £40, £20 of which is on fresh veg. This means that I will have £20 credited to my Banc Organics account to spend on any fresh veg I want.
This offer is limited to 15 free bags per week, so get thinking about who is on your list! If you try to nominate someone and we have already reached our 15 for that week, don’t worry - we’ll roll your nomination over to the next week.
Things to note:
- The nominee must be a new customer to Banc Organics
- You can nominate up to one person per week for the duration of the promotion
- You must check with the nominee that they are happy for you to share their details with us, and that they are able to receive delivery/pick up their bag on the Friday
- The nominee must live within our delivery area, or be able to pick up from one of our hubs (just drop us an email if you’re unsure where we deliver)
In This Week's Bag
Tuesday 20th October
As always, we hope that you are all keeping safe. Remember that we can deliver directly to your door, or a hub near your home, even in areas under local restrictions. If there’s anyone you know who is self-isolating and having trouble getting food to their door, do let them know that we can help them out.
In your bags this week there will be potatoes, onions and carrots, along with leeks, chard, beets, squash, kale and cabbages.
As always, if you prefer to make up your own order, then you can do so by choosing your favourite items from those in the shop, as well as adding from our range of dried foods and apple juice. Click here to shop.
If you have any bags or boxes, please do pass these to your driver on Friday. Orders by Tuesday 8pm for delivery on Friday afternoon.
Thank you all so much for your continued support.
Gobeithio eich bod chi i gyd yn cadw’n ddiogel. Cofiwch y gallwn ni ddanfon yn uniongyrchol i’ch cartref, neu ganolbwynt ger eich cartref, hyd yn oed mewn ardaloedd sydd o dan gyfyngiadau lleol. Os oes unrhyw un rydych chi’n ei adnabod sy’n hunan-ynysu ac yn cael trafferth cael bwyd wedi’i ddosbarthu, rhowch wybod iddyn nhw y gallwn ni eu helpu.
Yn eich bagiau yr wythnos hon bydd tatws, winwns a moron, cennin, chard, beets, pwmpen, cêl a bresych.
Os yw’n well gennych wneud eich archeb eich hun, dewiswch eich hoff eitemau o’n siop, ac ychwanegwch o’n hamrywiaeth o fwydydd sych a sudd afal. Cliciwch yma i siopa.
Os oes gennych chi unrhyw fagiau neu flychau, trosglwyddwch y rhain i’ch gyrrwr ddydd Gwener. Archebion erbyn dydd Mawrth 8pm i’w danfon brynhawn dydd Gwener.
Diolch i chi gyd am eich cefnogaeth.Return to top
As for everyone this crisis means a lot of challenges. As a food production and delivery enterprise we have a vital role to play keeping everyone safe and fed during the pandemic. PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING-
- -If you have to stay at home because of infection or susceptibility you can claim free home delivery at checkout of the webshop, please use this facility rather than endangering yourselves or others.
- - we have tighten our hygiene procedures, and taken what measures we can to avoid contamination. Please do your part to keep safe.
- -We are suspending the reuse of packaging apart from the boxes and bags you delivery comes in. All our other packaging is biodegradable and the bags can be disposed of you domestic compost.
- -Home deliveries- Delivery drivers are instructed to ring/knock and leave the delivery at your door or in your specified safe place. Please respect you distance from them.
- -Hub deliveries. We are continuing hub deliveries for the coming week but will keep this under review. Please observe scrupulous hygiene when picking up- wash hands before and after. Some of the hubs are at people homes. They will be instructed not to take bags in, so pick up your bags on promptly and respect their safety.
- -We are experiencing unprecedented demand, please be patient if your deliveries are a bit later than normal. We will close the shop early in the order cycle to new customers, to protect the interests of our existing customers, if it looks as though demand will exceed our capacity to deliver.
- -We are an open, community organisation your suggestions and input are always welcome- now more than ever.
CYFLWYNO AM DDIM I BOBL HUNAN-YNYSU./ FREE DELIVERY FOR PEOPLE SELF-ISOLATING.
Os ydych chi’n hunan-ynysu, wedi’i gyfyngu i’ch cartref oherwydd y firws COVID-19 ac yn byw yn ein hardaloedd dosbarthu byddwn yn danfon eich archeb o gynnyrch ffres organig i’ch drws heb unrhyw dâl ychwanegol.
Fel menter gymdeithasol gymunedol, rydym yn teimlo y dylem wneud ein rhan yn yr amseroedd anodd hyn. Felly os ydych chi’n gyfrifol yn gymdeithasol byddwn yn eich cefnogi i roi danfoniad cartref am ddim i chi.
Beth allai fod yn well na ffrwythau a llysiau ffres i’ch cadw’n iach ac er na allwn hawlio unrhyw bwerau iacháu gwyrthiol o’n cynnyrch organig ar gyfer afiechyd, rydym yn sicr na all fod yn beth drwg i’w fwyta’n dda. Rydym hefyd yn teimlo bod pwysigrwydd cynhyrchu lleol a chadwyni cyflenwi byr ar gyfer ein hanfodion yn fwy amlwg nag erioed.
If you are self-isolating, confined to your home due to the COVID-19 virus and live in our delivery areas we will deliver your order of organic fresh produce to your door for no additional charge.
As a community social enterprise, we feel we should do our bit in these difficult times. So if you are being socially responsible we will support you giving you free home delivery.
What could be better than fresh fruit and vegetables to keep you healthy?
Whilst we can’t claim any miraculous healing or protective powers from our organic produce, we are sure it can’t be a bad thing to eat well. We also feel that the importance of local production and short supply chains for our essentials is more obvious than ever.
Iachus da/ good health!Return to top
Banc Organics is now officially handed over to Gwendraeth Organics CIC.
Bellach mae Banc Organics wedi cael ei drosglwyddo’n swyddogol i Gwmni Buddiannau Cymunedol Gwendraeth Organics.
Ar yr adeg hon, hoffem ddiolch yn fawr i fferm Tŷ’r Eithin am fod yn sefydliad ymbarél i ni yn ogystal â rhoi llawer o adnoddau a chymorth ymarferol. Fe wnaeth yr elusen a’r bobl sy’n gysylltiedig â hi gyfraniad anhygoel er mwyn ein cael ni ar waith ac i’n cefnogi dros y 10 mlynedd diwethaf. Fydden ni ddim wedi cyrraedd lle rydyn ni heddiw hebddyn nhw. Rhaid i ni roi diolch arbennig i Sue Matthews am ei gwaith caled a’i hymroddiad anhygoel. Dymunwn bob lwc a hapusrwydd i Sue a Tony ar eu hymddeoliad ac yn eu bywyd newydd.
Rydym nawr yn edrych ymlaen at ddyfodol annibynnol, gyda sefydliad mwy deinamig sydd â ffocws mwy penodol ac sy’n anelu at gyflawni mwy. Mewn ffordd mae’r amseru’n berffaith, mae’r argyfwng presennol wedi amlygu’r problemau gyda’r system fwyd bresennol ac rydym wedi gallu camu i mewn a darparu ar gyfer anghenion pobl. Mae ein gweithgaredd wedi treblu dros y 3 wythnos diwethaf ac mae’r galw wedi cynyddu’n aruthrol. Mae hyn wrth gwrs wedi ychwanegu at y baich a hynny ar yr un pryd â’r gwaith ar y newid, felly byddwch yn amyneddgar gyda ni.
Mae yna lawer o heriau i ddod, i ddatblygu trefniant tyfu a dosbarthu bwyd cynaliadwy yn y gymuned. Mae angen i ni wneud llawer o fuddsoddiadau, recriwtio staff a sicrhau safle tyfu arall (mae Top Meadow yn rhy fach). Mae’n amser anodd dros ben ac, i ormod o bobl, mae’n amser enbyd. Rydym yn falch ein bod yn gwneud ein rhan i helpu. Rydym hefyd yn teimlo cyffro wrth i ni edrych ymlaen at wneud cyfraniad sylweddol at adfer y sefyllfa ac adeiladu cymuned a system fwyd fwy cynaliadwy yn y dyfodol
Bydd rhai newidiadau pwysig dros yr wythnosau nesaf-
- Yn gyntaf, mae’n rhaid i ni newid ein cyfrif banc a’n systemau talu - byddaf yn anfon e-bost atoch yn fuan gyda’r manylion. CADWCH LYGAD am hyn gan ei fod yn hollbwysig - mae’r elusen yn dirwyn i ben a’i chyfrifon yn cael eu cau. Bydd angen i chi ddilyn y cyfarwyddiadau er mwyn sicrhau bod taliadau’n parhau i’n cyrraedd.
- Byddwn yn recriwtio staff newydd i helpu i ymdopi â’r cynllun estynedig. Y cyntaf fydd gweithiwr gweinyddol/ceidwad cyfrifon. Rydym wrthi’n cwblhau’r manylion a bydd hysbyseb swydd yn ymddangos yn fuan; os ydych chi’n adnabod rhywun sy’n drefnus, yn dda gyda ffigurau a TG ac sydd angen swydd ran-amser, dwedwch wrthyn nhw am gadw llygad am y swydd a gwneud cais.
- Yn olaf, rydym bellach yn Gwmni Buddiant Cymunedol, rydym yn fudiad agored a democrataidd sy’n cael ei redeg er budd ein cymuned, ein hamgylchedd a’n cymdeithas. Un o’r pethau allweddol yw y byddwn yn cael ein rheoli gan ein haelodau. Gall cwsmeriaid, gwirfoddolwyr a gweithwyr gofrestru fel aelodau a bydd ganddynt bleidlais ar bwy sy’n gwasanaethu fel cyfarwyddwyr ac ar bolisi a chyfeiriad. Bydd manylion ynglŷn â sut i ymuno gyda chi yn fuan.
Diolch i Sioned am helpu gyda y cyfieithiad.
At this point we would very much like to thank Ty’r Eithin farm for providing us with an umbrella organization as well as many practical resources and inputs. Both the charity and the people involved with it put in an amazing amount in order to get us up and running and support us over the last 10 years. We would not be where we are today without them. In particular we must thank Sue Matthews for incredible hard work and dedication. We wish Sue and Tony good luck and happiness in their retirement and new life.
We now look forward to an independent future, with a more focused and dynamic organization aiming to do more. In a way the timing is perfect, the current crisis has thrown into stark relief the problems with the current food system and we have been there to step in and deliver where people need it. We have trebled the size of our operation in the last 3 weeks and demand has gone through the roof. This of course has been very demanding and on top of the change-over has made a lot of work, so please bear with us.
There are many challenges to come, to develop a sustainable, community-based food growing and distribution operation. We have many investments we need to make, staff we need to recruit and we still need to secure another growing site (Top Meadow is just too small). It is a desperately difficult and, for too many, tragic time. We are happy we are doing our bit to help. We are also excited about the prospect of playing a significant role in recovery and building a more sustainable community and food system in the future
There will be some important changes over the next few weeks-
- Firstly, we have to change bank account and payment systems – I will be emailing you soon with details. PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR this as it is vital, the charity is being wound up and it’s accounts closed. You will need to follow the instructions to ensure payments continue to reach us.
- We will be recruiting new staff help cope with the expanded scheme. First will be an administrative worker/book-keeper. We are finalizing the details of this and will have a job advert out soon, if you know anyone who is organized, good with figures and IT and in need of a part-time job encourage them to look out for it and apply.
- Finally, we are now a Community Interest Company, we are an open and democratic organization and run for the good of our community, environment and society. One of the key things is that we will be controlled by our members. Customers, volunteers and workers can sign up as members and will have a vote on who serves as directors and on policy and direction. Details of how to join will reach you soon.
Bwytwch yn add, cadwch yn iach a gofalwch am eich gilydd.
Eat well, stay healthy and look after each other.Return to top
- Email Banc Organics
- Specific enquiries about deliveries and orders (answered Tuesday and Friday) 07530 786838
- You may also contact us through our Facebook page.
Almost all our produce is certified organic, occasionally we’ll have something from a local producer who is too small to afford certification but we’ll clearly indicate this.
The scheme runs all year round. As much of the produce as possible is grown in Bancffosfelen, although we do buy in some organic vegetables if the need arises. This year due to losing land and having to relocate we may not be able to produce so much. We ask that you support us through this period because when we are up and running on our new site and have re-erected our poly-tunnels we hope to be producing more and better than ever.
We are buying some produce this year from a local organic grower Frank who is only a few miles away.
Anything we can’t supply ourselves we buy in from Watson and Pratt who supply high quality organic produce, so we can supply bananas and oranges and cucumber in February if you want!Return to top
Eliminating Plastic. Dileu Plastig
We have been wanting to eliminate the use of plastic bags for some time, it has always been an issue for us. It is difficult to solve as many of the leafy and other products we supply will not last until they reach you in hot dry weather, paper bags don’t work with wet vegetables and much of our stuff is fresh from the fields. We have always tried to deal with this by reusing as much packaging as possible. The reality is though we don’t get as much back as we should and reuse is well below 50%. So with our relaunch we are taking action!
WE WILL NO LONGER USE POLYTHENE BAGS FROM THE BEGINNING OF MARCH!
’Dyn ni’n wedi bod eisiau dileu’r defnydd o f agiau plastig ers cryn amser, mae wedi bod yn broblem i ni erioed. Mae’n anodd datrys gan na fydd llawer o’r cynhyrchion deiliog a chynhyrchion eraill rydyn ni’n eu cyflenwi yn para nes eu bod nhw’n eich cyrraedd chi mewn tywydd sych poeth, nid yw bagiau papur yn gweithio gyda llysiau gwlyb ac mae llawer o’n pethau’n ffres o’r caeau. ’Dyn ni’n bob amser wedi ceisio delio â hyn trwy ailddefnyddio cymaint o ddeunydd pacio â phosibl. Y gwir amdani yw er nad ydym yn cael cymaint yn ôl ag y dylem ac mae ailddefnyddio ymhell islaw 50%. Felly gyda’n hail-lansio rydym yn gweithredu.
NI FYDDWN YN DEFNYDDIO BAGIAU POLYTHENE HIR O DECHRAU MAWRTH!
We will instead use compostable film bags, these are made from plant materials and are fully biodegradable. There have previously been problems with so-called biodegradable bags and they haven’t always worked as they should. However new EU standards that came in recently have improved matters. Will will be using bags made with a film that has the Vincotte ’home compostable’ certificate, these are properly biodegradable and will breakdown in a home compost or in the soil leaving nothing but water, carbon dioxide and the microbes that consumed them.
We will still reuse these if possible but they are not as strong so this may not always be possible. We have been experimenting with different punnets and will continue to do so, we are trying cardboard punnets and also some PLA ones (PLA is a bio-based plastic, it will biodegrade but may not very fast in a home compost). We will use paper bags were we can but these don’t work for wet, muddy produce and don’t keep leaves from wilting very well.
Ond bydd yn rhaid i brisiau godi:
The downside of this is price. These packaging materials are not cheap. As a result we are going to have to put up prices. In fact with the price of fruit and vegetables going up quite a lot recently we were going to have to anyway.
- So Large bags will go up £1, medium 80p and small 60p.
- Items that require a plastic bag will go up a small amount.
We will always try first and foremost to REDUCE and REUSE. But we felt it was long overdue for us to do something more about the issue.
- Grower/Manager: Martin Samphire
- Packing and distribution: Sue Williams
- Assistant Grower: Will Melrose
- Administration: Lauren Faithful
- Board of Directors:
Martin Samphire. Sian Barlow, Andy Hennesey, Roger Hitchings, Christoph Konrad and Nicky Matcher.
Shopping and Subscription
Our web-shop on Open Food Network is super-easy to use to order whatever you like. We prefer payment by card at checkout from the shop as it is easiest to administer.
You can also set up subscriptions to have regular deliveries, the easiest way is to buy a subscription bag in the web shop. You can set up a direct debit to pay for them, just follow the instructions at checkout.
Other payment methods can be arranged but you need to contact us to set them up.
If you have problems using the shop, we are happy to help. Be aware we don’t have full-time staff so it may take 2 or 3 working days for someone to get back to you.Return to top
Pick-up points and Home deliveries
We have pick up points at the following locations:
- Carmarthen - The Nurture Centre
- Llanelli - Bryn Terrace
- Kidwelly - Alstread St.
- Ferryside - Community Centre
- Bury Port - Tyle Teg
- Cefn Eithin - Heol y Parc
- Bancffosfelen - Heol y Banc
- Pontyberem - Furnace Terrace
- Pontyates - Community Hall
- NEW Swansea - V Hub, Craddock st.
If you can’t make it to a pick up point don’t worry- we know people work, have families, busy lives- you can opt for a home delivery. It cost £1.75 and we can leave it anywhere out of the sun and rain.
Important: Shop Opening late and other changes
Thursday 26th March 2020
30th March 2020 br> For the lastest update see below: This Week’s Bag
I’m sorry to say it that the current crisis is making it very difficult to operate. Our suppliers are having difficulty getting produce and getting it out. We have twice been hit by late price rises that have come after we set prices in our webshop, have been forced to drive to the wholesalers to pick up produce and had many Items that we order not turn up necessitating hours of work refunding overcharges. At this time of year we have very lttle of our ownproduce so are reliant on our wholesaler who sources from local, national and international organic growers.
As result we have had to take the following actions:
- The shop will not now open till Monday 12 noon, this still gives you 38 hours until Tuesday at 8pm to make an order or amend a subscription.
- A Temporary (hopefully) price rise. This is likely to be £2 for a large bag and £1 for a small, final decision to be made before shop opening. We will try to withdraw this if and when wholesale prices drop.
- Restricting the range we sell. We will try to only list items that have fairly certain supply, in these difficult times that is not going to be easy and I sure some things will still not turn up but hopefully we can reduce the disappointment and administrative work of refunding.
Finally bear in mind that we are small organisation with no full-time staff. We are always stretched but now more than ever to minimize the un-paid work our staff are forced to do please:
- if you are not ordering and paying at checkout either set up a direct debit or actively manage your account- check the balance and make payments regularly, ideally we will have everybody moved over to card/direct debit payments as it saves us a lot of administration and makes sure your account is always in balance.
- Get your orders in before the deadlines, we cannot accept late orders, if we have occasionally in the past we cannot any longer.
- If you have trouble with technology get someone to help, there are probably lots of people with time at the moment but we aren’t those people.
Thankyou very much for your support and patience in this crisis, hopefully things will even out a bit in the coming weks right now it is all a bit crazy.
And sorry for the lack of Welsh in this communication, as a learner it takes me a long time to translate my messages, mae’n ddrwg gen i.Return to top
Terms and Conditions
We reserve the right to refuse deliveries to you and to cancel your account where payment(s) have been withheld. You agree to compensate us in full for all reasonable costs and expenses (including legal costs) in obtaining payments that have not been made in accordance with these terms and conditions.
You Can Join In
Volunteers are always welcome. If you would like to take part, for as little or as much time as you can spare, here is some information about getting involved. If you’d like to find out more get in touch by clicking here and phone or email us.
We welcome comments and suggestions from customers and members.
All customers are welcome and encouraged to become members of the CIC and have a stake in our enterprise. We will shortly be holding a launch event to celebrate our relaunch and sign up members.Return to top